[GIT PULL] Namespace file descriptors for 2.6.40

Ingo Molnar mingo at elte.hu
Wed May 25 05:47:41 PDT 2011

* Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> > But at least the primary, 'native' syscall table of every arch
> > could be kept rather fresh via generic enumeration.
>
> So we can start all over at offset 501 (alpha just started using
> 500) with a unified, clean, and compressed list of syscalls? Or do
> we have some more other-os-compat syscalls around in this range?

No, that would leave a big hole in the syscall table of most
architectures.

So what would be needed is for each architecture to define a 'generic
syscall table base index', ARCH_SYSCALL_BASE or so, and the generic
syscalls would be added for that.

Alpha would have 501, the others lower numbers.

The only general assumption we can rely on is that there's a range of
not yet used syscall numbers starting at the end of the current
syscall table.

Thanks,

	Ingo