[GIT PULL] Namespace file descriptors for 2.6.40

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed May 25 16:40:13 PDT 2011

C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> writes:

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:
>> Quoting C Anthony Risinger (anthony at xtfx.me):

>>> i just have a quick question regarding these, apologies if wrong place
>>> to respond -- i trimmed to lists only.
>>>
>>> if i understand correctly, mount namespaces (for example), allow one
>>> to build such constructs as "private /tmp" and similar that even
>>> `root` cannot access ... and there are many reasons `root` does not
>>> deserve to completely know/interact with user processes (FUSE makes a
>>> good example ... just because i [user] have SSH access to a machine,
>>> why should `root`?)
>>>
>>> would these /proc additions break such guarantees?  IOW, would it now
>>> become possible for `root` to inject stuff into my private namespaces,
>>> and/or has these guarantees never existed and i am mistaken?  is there
>>> any kind of ACL mechanism that endows the origin process (or similar)
>>> with the ability to dictate who can hold and/or interact with these
>>> references?
>>
>> If for instance you have a file open in your private /tmp, then root
>> in another mounts ns can open the file through /proc/$$/fd/N anyway.
>> If it's a directory, he can now traverse the whole fs.
>
> aaah right :-( ... there's always another way isn't there ... curse
> you Linux for being so flexible! (just kidding baby i love you)

Even more significant the access to the new files is guarded by the
ptrace access checks.  And if root can ptrace your process root
can remote control your process.

> this seems like a more fundamental issue then?  or should i not expect
> to be able to achieve separation like this?  i ask in the context of
> OS virt via cgroups + namespaces, eg. LXC et al, because i'm about to
> perform a massive overhaul to our crusty sub-2.6.18 infrastructure and
> i've used/followed these technologies for couple years now ... and
> it's starting to feel like "the right time".

I don't think anything really new is allowed, but we haven't designed
anything that radically reduces the power of root either.

At some point we may have the user namespace done and that should
give you a root like user with vastly reduced powers, but we aren't
there yet.