[RFD] Merge task counter into memcg

Alexander Nikiforov a.nikiforov at samsung.com
Thu Apr 19 03:34:15 UTC 2012

On 04/17/2012 07:23 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:45:05AM +0400, Alexander Nikiforov wrote:
>> between them. Now we have only 1 way to get notification about tasks
>> file - inotify(), but this approach works only if you work from
>> userspace with file (e.g. create struct file, for example with echo
>> $$ /sys/abc/tasks), but when something happens from kernel side
>> (do_fork()/do_exit) we cannot get any event about group of the
>> process (we can scan tasks file and count number of PID, or work
>> with
>> waitpid(), but IMHO this is ugly solutions)
> Wouldn't simply generating FS_MODIFY event on the tasks file do the
> trick?
>
> Thanks.

Maybe it will, but in my mind it should be with event. I thought about
inotify before my RFD mail. Here we have file update, so FS_MODIFY very
natural.
But on the other hand - we have event in memcg, so conventional approach
is event.

If this functionality is acceptable in cgroup and FS_MODIFY better,
we'll make new patch with this approach.

--
Best regards,
      Alex Nikiforov,