Q: cgroup: Questions about possible issues in cgroup locking

Oleg Nesterov oleg at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 15:23:56 UTC 2012

On 01/04, Mandeep Singh Baines wrote:

> Oleg Nesterov (oleg at redhat.com) wrote:

> > > Oh you're right.
> > >
> > > But then we can't use t != t->group_leader because that assumes while_each_thread()
> > > started on the leader.
> >
> > Yes, this can't work.
> >
> > Besides, we need more burriers to rely on the ->group_leader check.
> >
> > See http://marc.info/?t=127688987300002
> >

> I went through the thread. Were there any other concerns other than
> requiring that you start with the group_leader and the barrier?
>
> You could modify zap_other_threads to start with the group leader by
> skipping p:
>
> if (p == t)
>    continue;

Yes, we can but there are other while_each_thread(nonleader) users.
Yes we can fix them too but this looks a bit ugly and we need to
change while_each_thread() anyway. And I do not see why this change
will be simpler if we restrict it to group_leader.

And note that zap_other_threads() is fine in any case, it is called
under ->siglock.

> > in particular, http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=127714242731448
> > I think this should work, but then we should do something with the
> > users like zap_threads().
> >

> With that patch, won't you potentially miss the exec thread if an exec
> occurs while you're iterating over the list? Is that OK?

Of course it is not OK ;) Note the "we should do something with" above.

Oleg.