Q: cgroup: Questions about possible issues in cgroup locking

Mandeep Singh Baines msb at chromium.org
Fri Jan 6 18:25:35 UTC 2012

Oleg Nesterov (oleg at redhat.com) wrote:
> On 01/04, Mandeep Singh Baines wrote:
> >
> > Oleg Nesterov (oleg at redhat.com) wrote:

> > > Yes, this can't work.
> > >
> > > Besides, we need more burriers to rely on the ->group_leader check.
> > >
> > > See http://marc.info/?t=127688987300002
> > >

> > I went through the thread. Were there any other concerns other than
> > requiring that you start with the group_leader and the barrier?
> >
> > You could modify zap_other_threads to start with the group leader by
> > skipping p:
> >
> > if (p == t)
> >    continue;
>
> Yes, we can but there are other while_each_thread(nonleader) users.
> Yes we can fix them too but this looks a bit ugly and we need to
> change while_each_thread() anyway. And I do not see why this change
> will be simpler if we restrict it to group_leader.
>
> And note that zap_other_threads() is fine in any case, it is called
> under ->siglock.
>
> > > in particular, http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=127714242731448
> > > I think this should work, but then we should do something with the
> > > users like zap_threads().
> > >

> > With that patch, won't you potentially miss the exec thread if an exec
> > occurs while you're iterating over the list? Is that OK?
>
> Of course it is not OK ;) Note the "we should do something with" above.

So requirements should be something like this:

* Any task alive for the duration of the iteration MUST be visited
* No task should be visited more than once
* Any task born or exiting after starting the iteration MAY be skipped
* You can start at any task in the thread group

Would something like this work:

#define while_each_thread(g, t, o) \
	while (t->group_leader == o && (t = next_thread(t)) != g)

Where o should have the value of g->group_leader.

Regards,
Mandeep