[RFD] cgroup: about multiple hierarchies

Tejun Heo tj at kernel.org
Mon Mar 12 22:28:17 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:22:18PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 15:10 -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
> >
> > * How to map controllers which aren't aware of full hierarchy is still
> >   an open question but I'm still standing by one active node on any
> >   root-to-leaf path w/ root group serving as the special rest group.
>
> What does this mean?

Let's say we have a tree like the following.

         root
      /   |   \
     G1  G2   G3
             /  \
	   G31  G32

So, for cgroups which don't support full hierarchy, it'll be viewed as
either,

         root
      /   |   \
     G1  G2   G3

or

          root
     G1  G2  G31 G32

With root being treated specially, probably as just being a equal
group as other groups, I'm not fully determined about that yet.

Thanks.

--
tejun