cgroup: status-quo and userland efforts

Tejun Heo tj at kernel.org
Tue Apr 9 19:46:40 UTC 2013

A bit of addition.

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:38:51PM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > We need to make the distribute approach work in order to support
> > containers, which requiring them to have a back-channel open to
> > the host userspace. If we can do that, then we've solved the problem

Why is back-channel such a bad thing?  Even fully virtualized
environments do special things to communicate with the host (the whole
stack of virt drivers).  It is sub-optimal and pointless to make
everything completely transparent.  There's nothing wrong with the
basesystem knowing that they're inside a container or a virtualized
environment, so I don't understand why a back-channel is such a big
problem.

Thanks.

--
tejun