PROBLEM: Processes writing large files in memory-limited LXC container are killed by OOM

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 1 15:21:50 UTC 2013

Quoting Aaron Staley (aaron at picloud.com):
> The behavior it fixes sounds similar to what I'm seeing. However, if I read
> the logs correctly, wasn't this committed into Linux 3.5? If so, wouldn't
> Linux 3.8.0-25-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP (where I can reproduce the problem)
> already have this fix?

Hi,

I've been trying to reproduce this in ubuntu raring, but couldn't.  I
started a shell as unprivileged user, and stuck it in a memory cgroup
with memory.limit_in_bytes set to 10M.  Did dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/xxx
bs=1M count=100M - it was slow, and memory.failcnt hit 1612526, but it
did in the end succeed.

kernel here is 3.8.0-23-generic #34-Ubuntu, slightly older than you.
Maybe you're onto a new regression?

-serge