Interaction user namespace, /proc/1 ownership & cap_set

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jul 1 16:16:25 UTC 2013

I'm struggling debugging a strange problem with interaction between user
namespaces, cap_set and ownership of files in /proc/1/

I'm using a modified version (attached to this mail) of the demo program
userns_child_exec.c linked on https://lwn.net/Articles/532593/

  $ gcc -lcap -Wall -o userns_child_exec userns_child_exec.c

First normal execution appears to work just fine (as root):

  $ ./userns_child_exec -p -m -U -M '0 1000 1' -G '0 1000 1' bash
  Launching child init
  # umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
  # umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
  # umount /proc/fs/nfsd
  # umount /proc
  # mount -t proc proc /proc/
  # ls -al /proc/1/environ
  -r--------. 1 root root 0 Jul  1 17:04 /proc/1/environ

My modification adds support for a '-c' arg to call the program to use
cap_set() from libcap.so in order to remove the CAP_SYS_MODULE capability.

If I run the program with the '-c' arg present, then the files in
the /proc/1/ directory all end up owned by nfsnobody.nfsbody

  $ ./userns_child_exec -c -p -m -U -M '0 1000 1' -G '0 1000 1' bash
  Launching child init
  # umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
  # umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
  # umount /proc/fs/nfsd
  # umount /proc
  # mount -t proc proc /proc/
  # ls -al /proc/1/environ
  -r--------. 1 nfsnobody nfsnobody 0 Jul  1 17:01 /proc/1/environ

Why on earth would calling 'cap_set()' to drop a capability cause
the user/group ownership of files in /proc/1/ to change ?

Any child processes launched from this point get correct ownership
on their /proc/NNN files - only /proc/1/ seems to be affected.

Via strace, we can see the libcap code only calls 3 syscalls:

capget({_LINUX_CAPABILITY_VERSION_3, 0}, NULL) = 0
capget({_LINUX_CAPABILITY_VERSION_3, 0}, {CAP_CHOWN|CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE|CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH|CAP_FOWNER|CAP_FSETID|CAP_KILL|CAP_SETGID|CAP_SET
UID|CAP_SETPCAP|CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE|CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE|CAP_NET_BROADCAST|CAP_NET_ADMIN|CAP_NET_RAW|CAP_IPC_LOCK|CAP_IPC_OWNER|CAP_SYS_MO
DULE|CAP_SYS_RAWIO|CAP_SYS_CHROOT|CAP_SYS_PTRACE|CAP_SYS_PACCT|CAP_SYS_ADMIN|CAP_SYS_BOOT|CAP_SYS_NICE|CAP_SYS_RESOURCE|CAP_SYS_TIME|CAP_S
YS_TTY_CONFIG|CAP_MKNOD|CAP_LEASE|CAP_AUDIT_WRITE|CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL|CAP_SETFCAP, CAP_CHOWN|CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE|CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH|CAP_FOWNER
|CAP_FSETID|CAP_KILL|CAP_SETGID|CAP_SETUID|CAP_SETPCAP|CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE|CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE|CAP_NET_BROADCAST|CAP_NET_ADMIN|CAP_NET_RA
W|CAP_IPC_LOCK|CAP_IPC_OWNER|CAP_SYS_MODULE|CAP_SYS_RAWIO|CAP_SYS_CHROOT|CAP_SYS_PTRACE|CAP_SYS_PACCT|CAP_SYS_ADMIN|CAP_SYS_BOOT|CAP_SYS_N
ICE|CAP_SYS_RESOURCE|CAP_SYS_TIME|CAP_SYS_TTY_CONFIG|CAP_MKNOD|CAP_LEASE|CAP_AUDIT_WRITE|CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL|CAP_SETFCAP, 0}) = 0
capset({_LINUX_CAPABILITY_VERSION_3, 0}, {CAP_CHOWN|CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE|CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH|CAP_FOWNER|CAP_FSETID|CAP_KILL|CAP_SETGID|CAP_SETUID|CAP_SETPCAP|CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE|CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE|CAP_NET_BROADCAST|CAP_NET_ADMIN|CAP_NET_RAW|CAP_IPC_LOCK|CAP_IPC_OWNER|CAP_SYS_RAWIO|CAP_SYS_CHROOT|CAP_SYS_PTRACE|CAP_SYS_PACCT|CAP_SYS_ADMIN|CAP_SYS_BOOT|CAP_SYS_NICE|CAP_SYS_RESOURCE|CAP_SYS_TIME|CAP_SYS_TTY_CONFIG|CAP_MKNOD|CAP_LEASE|CAP_AUDIT_WRITE|CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL|CAP_SETFCAP, CAP_CHOWN|CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE|CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH|CAP_FOWNER|CAP_FSETID|CAP_KILL|CAP_SETGID|CAP_SETUID|CAP_SETPCAP|CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE|CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE|CAP_NET_BROADCAST|CAP_NET_ADMIN|CAP_NET_RAW|CAP_IPC_LOCK|CAP_IPC_OWNER|CAP_SYS_RAWIO|CAP_SYS_CHROOT|CAP_SYS_PTRACE|CAP_SYS_PACCT|CAP_SYS_ADMIN|CAP_SYS_BOOT|CAP_SYS_NICE|CAP_SYS_RESOURCE|CAP_SYS_TIME|CAP_SYS_TTY_CONFIG|CAP_MKNOD|CAP_LEASE|CAP_AUDIT_WRITE|CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL|CAP_SETFCAP, 0}) = 0

though, for added fun, when running the demo program via strace
the problem does not appear :-(

On a slightly related topic, I've noticed that it is not possible to
invoke prctl(PR_CAPBSET_DROP) to clear the bounding set for processes
inside a container. The kernel code uses capable() instead of ns_capable().
Is this intended, or a missing conversion ?

Indeed, even ignoring namespaces for a minute, I'm curious as to why
CAP_SETPCAP is required at all for PR_CAPBSET_DROP ?  Is it really
a security risk to allow a non-privileged user to remove bits from
the bounding set ? For KVM I'd like to be able to use PR_CAPBSET_DROP
to prevent a compromised KVM process from using any setuid program to
re-gain any kind of capabilities.  Similarly I think a container admin
may well wish to make use of PR_CAPBSET_DROP to lock down applications
there.

Regards,
Daniel