PROBLEM: Processes writing large files in memory-limited LXC container are killed by OOM

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 1 18:01:01 UTC 2013

Quoting Aaron Staley (aaron at picloud.com):
> This is better explained here:
> http://serverfault.com/questions/516074/why-are-applications-in-a-memory-limited-lxc-container-writing-large-files-to-di
> (The
> highest-voted answer believes this to be a kernel bug.)

Hi,

in irc it has been suggested that indeed the kernel should be slowing
down new page creates while waiting for old page cache entries to be
written out to disk, rather than ooming.

With a 3.0.27-1-ac100 kernel, doing dd if=/dev/zero of=xxx bs=1M
count=100 is immediately killed.  In contrast, doing the same from a
3.0.8 kernel did the right thing for me.  But I did reproduce your
experiment below on ec2 with the same result.

So, cc:ing linux-mm in the hopes someone can tell us whether this
is expected behavior, known mis-behavior, or an unknown bug.