userns idea: preventing SCM_CREDENTIALS from leaking out

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Wed Nov 27 16:24:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:
> Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm at xmission.com):
>> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge at hallyn.com> writes:
>>
>> > Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto at amacapital.net):

>> > And the cgroup manager I'm starting on depends on this.

>> > Well, I'll grant you, if I have a single directory with a socket in
>> > it, and I make that the aufs or overlayfs underlay for two separate
>> > mounts, which each are in different containers, then you might have
>> > a problem here.
>> >
>> > Now maybe the answer to that is that the sockets should be created
>> > in tmpfss (/run, /tmp, etc) anyway.  But the more I think about it
>> > the more I, unfortunately, agree that this could be a problem.
>>
>> I really hate the concept of mapping a uid in some contexts and not
>> others.  That seems very prone to go wrong. Given all of the possible
>> kinds of perumutations I can't imagine how we would get it correct.
>>
>> MS_NOSUID and MS_RDONLY will help with some of the worst offenders.
>> But it will still be possible for the user namespace root to call
>> setuid(NNN); and create a process with that uid.  And if a unix domain
>> socket isn't the only means of interacting there will still be problems.
>>
>> I will suggest that writing a uid mapping filesystem like overlayfs or
>> perhaps as a mount option of overlayfs is likely to be a more robuse
>> solution in general.  Certainly that is what I originally had on the
>> drawing board to solve this class of problem.
>
> Actually an option to aufs and overlayfs to say "any unix domain socket
> which is opened must first be copied to the writeable layer" would
> solve the issue (at least for all reasonable cases, iiuc)

I guess I'm reasonably convinced that overlayfs is the right place to
fix this.  (Containers using lvm will be left in the cold -- oh,
well.)

cc: Miklos, who is the most likely to implement one or both of these features.

(In cases where containers share a (non-overlay) directory that one of
them can write, would it make sense to have an option MS_NOSOCKET that
works on bind mounts?)

--Andy