[RFC]Pid conversion between pid namespace

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 4 22:20:44 UTC 2014

Quoting chenhanxiao at cn.fujitsu.com (chenhanxiao at cn.fujitsu.com):
> Hi,
>
> We discussed two ways of pid conversion:
> syscall and procfs.
>
> Both of them could do a pid translation job.
> But for ns hierarchy, syscall like:
>
> pid_t* getnspid(pid_t query_pid, pid_t observer_pid)
> or
> pid_t getnspid(pid_t query_pid, int query_fd, int ref_fd)
>
> could not work, we knew a pid lived in one ns, but we

Note I still disagree here.

> did not know their relationships.
> For getting the entire set of pids, both of them can do.
>
> So using procfs is a better way.
>
> Ex:
>     init_pid_ns     ns1         ns2
> t1  2
> t2   `- 3           1
> t3       `- 4       `- 5        1
> t4           `-6        `-8      `-9
> t5             `-10        `-9      `-10
>
> 1. How procfs work:
> a) adding a nspid hierarchy  under /proc/ like:
> [root at localhost proc]# tree /proc/nspid
> /proc/nspid
> ├── ns0
> │    └── ns1

Are these actually called 'ns1' etc?  Adding a namespace of pid
namespace names is a bad thing.

> │       ├── ns2
> │       │   └── pid -> /proc/9/ns
> │       └── pid -> /proc/4/ns
> └── pid -> /proc/1/ns
>
> We created dirs and add a link to the 1st process of this ns.

How much more kernel space does this take up?

Is there an easy way to go from a pid in your own namespace
to its proper node under /proc/nspid?  I.e. if I am interested
in pid 9987, which happens to be pid 5 inside a container in
ns2, and then I want to know what it means when it (pid 9987)
is talking about 'pid 10'.  Is there a link under /proc/9987/
leading to /proc/nspid/ns2/5 ?

> b) expose all sets of pid, pgid, sid and tgid
> via expanded /proc/PID/status
>       We could get translated IDs from container like:
>     NStgid:	6 	8	9
>     NSpid:	6 	8 	9
>     NSpgid:	6 	8 	9
>     NSsid:	6 	1 	0
>     (a set of IDs with 3 level of ns)

This sure does seem the simplest route.  But it actually still
does not provide us an easy answer to "what does pid 9987 mean
when it talks about pid 10?".

> 2. Advantage of procfs solution
> a) easy to use:
> getnspid(6, 10) -> (10, 9, 10)
> or
> getnspid(10, ns1_fd, ns0_fd) -> 9
> getnspid(10, ns2_fd, ns0_fd) -> 10
>
> And we could also get it by:
> cat /proc/10/status | grep NSpid:
> NSpid:	10 	9 	10

It looks nice, but I'm not convinced it gives us the info we
need.

It's certainly possible that I've just not thought it through
enough.

Question: are you proposing this (/proc/pid/status expansion) as an
alternative to /proc/nspid, or are they meant to be complementary?

> b) hierarchy info:
> We could not get the ns hierarchy info by just one syscall.
> If we had to, it will complicate the interface.

Agreed.  But I'm not sure that's particularly important.