What's the status of 87b47932 patch - mnt: Implicitly add MNT_NODEV on remount as we do on mount

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sat Nov 29 23:04:03 UTC 2014

joeyli <jlee at suse.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Sorry for bother you. I saw your patch:
> 	mnt: Implicitly add MNT_NODEV on remount as we do on mount
>
> Already commited in linux-next:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/fs/namespace.c?id=87b47932f40a11280584bce260cbdb3b5f9e8b7d
>
> But, I didn't see this patch show in v3.18-rc kernel in Linus's git tree.
> What's the status of 87b47932 patch? Does there have regression cases it
> could not be merged to v3.18 kernel?

The patch actually breaks remounting filesystems that did not have
MNT_NODEV set when theny were mounted.

The primary issue is that the bug hit at a very inopportune time in my
life (just before kernel summit) after which I had a vacation planned
and after that I had some serious job hunting and moving to do.

Now I am busily trying to catch up on my queue and these long delayed
bug fixes are the next issue.

If folks can review/test the current version of the patch (to follow in
a moment) I would appreciate it.  Based on previous testing unless I
have a typo what I expect to see is:
lxc  - b0rked.  The old versions of lxc must be broken to fix the
       security issue.
libvirt-lxc - fixed.
Andy's thing - fixed.

Any comments on the next user namespace breaking security fix that is
being finalized would also be appreciated.