[PATCH review 0/8] Bind mount escape fixes
Eric W. Biederman
ebiederm at xmission.com
Fri Aug 14 04:29:23 UTC 2015
It is possible in some situations to rename a file or directory through
one mount point such that it can start out inside of a bind mount and
after the rename wind up outside of the bind mount. Unfortunately with
user namespaces these conditions can be trivially created by creating a
bind mount under an existing bind mount.
I have identified four situations in which this may be a problem.
- __d_path and d_absolute_path need to error on disconnected paths
that can not reach some root directory or lsm path based security
checks can incorrectly succeed.
- Normal path name resolution following .. can lead to a directory
that is outside of the original loopback mount.
- file handle reconsititution aka exportfs_decode_fh can yield a dentry
from which d_parent can be followed up to mnt->sb->s_root, but
d_parent can not be followed up to mnt->mnt_root.
- Mounts on a path that has been renamed outside of a loopback mount
become unreachable, as there is no possible path that can be passed
to umount to unmount them.
o File handle reconsitituion problems can be prevented by enabling
the nfsd subtree checks for nfs exports, and open_by_handle_at
requires capable(CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH) so is only usable by the global
root. This makes any problems difficult if not impossible to exploit
in practice so I have not yet written code to address that issue.
o The functions __d_path and d_absolute_path are agumented so that the
security modules will not be fed a problematic path to work with.
o Following of .. has been agumented to test that after d_parent has
been resolved the original directory is connected, and if not
an error of -ENOENT is returned.
o I do not worry about mounts that are disconnected from their bind
mount as these mounts can always be freed by either umount -l on
the bind mount they have escaped from, or by freeing the mount
namespace. So I do not believe there is an actual problem.
Pathname resolution is a common fast path and most of the code in this
patchset to support keeping .. from becoming expensive in the common
After hearing the Al's feedback and running some numbers I have given
up attempting to keeping the number of d_ancestor calls during pathname
resolution to an absolute minimum. It appears that simply preventing
calls d_ancestor unless a directory has escaped is good enough. This
change in approach has significantly simplified the code.
The big implementation change to note is that I have rewritten
d_splice_alias and made some significant progress in cleaning up how the
locks are dealt with. The only limitation now is that
dentry->d_parent->d_inode->i_mutex is taken in lookup held when
d_splice_alias is called. If that ever goes away my new
d_splice_alias can easily take all of the locks it needs to rename
a directory in the proper order.
Does anyone see anything significant that I have missed?
These changes are all against v4.2-rc1.
For those who like to see everything in a single tree the code is at:
Eric W. Biederman (8):
dcache: Handle escaped paths in prepend_path
dcache: Reduce the scope of i_lock in d_splice_alias
dcache: Clearly separate the two directory rename cases in d_splice_alias
mnt: Track which mounts use a dentry as root.
dcache: Implement d_common_ancestor
dcache: Only read d_flags once is d_is_dir
mnt: Track when a directory escapes a bind mount
vfs: Test for and handle paths that are unreachable from their mnt_root
fs/dcache.c | 193 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
fs/mount.h | 9 +++
fs/namei.c | 26 ++++++-
fs/namespace.c | 152 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
include/linux/dcache.h | 11 ++-
include/linux/mount.h | 1 +
6 files changed, 338 insertions(+), 54 deletions(-)
More information about the Containers