CGroup Namespaces (v6)

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 8 15:22:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:10:03AM +0100, Alban Crequy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the patches!
>
> On 8 December 2015 at 00:06,  <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > following is a revised set of the CGroup Namespace patchset which Aditya
> > Kali has previously sent.  The code can also be found in the cgroupns.v6
> > branch of
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sergeh/linux-security.git/
> >
> > To summarize the semantics:
> >
> > 1. CLONE_NEWCGROUP re-uses 0x02000000, which was previously CLONE_STOPPED
> >
> > 2. unsharing a cgroup namespace makes all your current cgroups your new
> > cgroup root.
> >
> > 3. /proc/pid/cgroup always shows cgroup paths relative to the reader's
> > cgroup namespce root.  A task outside of  your cgroup looks like
> >
> >         8:memory:/../../..
> >
> > 4. when a task mounts a cgroupfs, the cgroup which shows up as root depends
> > on the mounting task's  cgroup namespace.
> >
> > 5. setns to a cgroup namespace switches your cgroup namespace but not
> > your cgroups.
> >
> > With this, using github.com/hallyn/lxc #2015-11-09/cgns (and
> > github.com/hallyn/lxcfs #2015-11-10/cgns) we can start a container in a full
> > proper cgroup namespace, avoiding either cgmanager or lxcfs cgroup bind mounts.
>
> I tested cgroupns.v6 with systemd-nspawn + patches from
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/2112 using
> unshare(CLONE_NEWCGROUP) booted with
> systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 in Fedora22. Tested with and
> without userns. It worked for me :)

Great, thanks for testing.

> Do you need people to run more tests, with other scenarios?

Certainly the more testing the better.  There is a particular set of
cases which I'd earlier tested just in the shell, which could stand
to have a testcase.  That's to basically test all of the '..' possibilities
for /proc/self/cgroup and make sure it's all sane.  I.e. place task t1
into cgroups: '/', '/x1', '/x1/x2', '/x1/x2/x3';  place task t2 into
various relative paths '/', '/x1', '/x1/x2', '/y1', etc;  have t1
check where t2 is, then have t2 setns into t1's namespace and check where
t1 is.

> Do you have patches already for /usr/bin/unshare and /usr/bin/nsenter?

Nope, I don't have patch for util-linux yet, I just used a custom unshare
and setns program.