Unprivileged containers and co-ordinating user namespaces

Fri Apr 29 15:38:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 16:00 -0700, W. Trevor King wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 03:02:08PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> > /etc/usernamespaces
> >
> > and the format be :::
> >
> > …
> >
> > If this sounds OK to people, I can code up a utility that does this,
> > which should probably belong in util-linux.
>
> This sounds a lot like shadow's newuidmap and newgidmap [1,2,3].
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor
>
> [1]: https://github.com/shadow-maint/shadow/commit/673c2a6f9aa6c69588f4c1be08589b8d3475a520
> [2]: http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/newuidmap.1.html
> [3]: http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/subuid.5.html

I think that mostly works.  No-one's packaging it yet, which is why I
didn't notice.  It also looks like the build dependencies have vastly
expanded, so I can't get it to build in the build service yet.

It looks like the only addition it needs is the setgroups flag for
newgidmap, which the security people will need, so I can patch that.
 Plus it's trying to install newgidmap/newuidmap as setuid root rather
than cap_setuid/cap_setgid, but that's fixable in the spec file.

James