Unprivileged containers and co-ordinating user namespaces

Serge E. Hallyn serge at hallyn.com
Fri Apr 29 15:53:03 UTC 2016

Quoting James Bottomley (James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com):

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/uidmap
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/yakkety/+package/uidmap
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/45/idpl/28763248/numer/1/nazwa/newuidmap

> didn't notice.  It also looks like the build dependencies have vastly
> expanded, so I can't get it to build in the build service yet.
>
> It looks like the only addition it needs is the setgroups flag for
> newgidmap, which the security people will need, so I can patch that.
>  Plus it's trying to install newgidmap/newuidmap as setuid root rather
> than cap_setuid/cap_setgid, but that's fixable in the spec file.

That would prevent it being installed inside user namespaces, until
the user namespaced file capabilities (see separate thread :) hit.

-serge