[CRIU] Introspecting userns relationships to other namespaces?

Andrew Vagin avagin at virtuozzo.com
Fri Jul 8 01:57:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 10:46:33AM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge at hallyn.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 10:41:48AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> >> [Rats! Doing now what I should have down to start with. Looping some
> >> lists and CRIU and other possibly relevant people into this
> >> conversation]
> >>
> >> Hi Eric,

> > I don't think they need it.  They do in fact have what they need.  Assume
> > you have tasks T1, T2, T1_1 and T2_1;  T1 and T2 are in init_user_ns;  T1
> > spawned T1_1 in a new userns;  T2 spawned T2_1 which setns()d to T1_1's ns.
> > There's some {handwave} uid mapping, does not matter.
> >
> > At restart, it doesn't matter which task originally created the new userns.
> > criu knows T1_1 and T2_1 are in the same userns;  it creates the userns, sets
> > up the mapping, and T1_1 and T2_1 setns() to it.
>
> Given that the simple cases are so easy it probably doesn't matter in
> that sense.
>
> However we now have the case where user namespaces own pid namespaces,
> and uts namespaces, and network namespaces, and ipc namespaces, and
> filesystems.  Throw in some mount propagation and use of setns and
> things could get confusing.   It is something that will need to be
> figured out if CRIU is going to properly checkpoint containers
> containing containers containing containers containing containers.

It isn't a joke:). We have a few requests to support CR of containers with
Docker containers inside. And we are going to start this task in a near
future, so we would like to have interface to get dependencies between
namespaces too.

BTW: CRIU already supports nested mount namespaces, because systemd
creates them for services.