[CRIU] Introspecting userns relationships to other namespaces?

Sun Jul 10 21:06:48 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-07-10 at 15:29 -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Andrew Vagin <avagin at virtuozzo.com> writes:

> > > I am dubious on moving all of the user namespace members into
> > > ns_common.
> > >
> > > I would happy to be proved wrong but I suspect in the cases where
> > > we
> > > actually use that user namespace the code will become uglier.
> > >  Making
> > > the ordinary uses uglier to make a rare corner case nicer is the
> > > wrong
> > > trade off.
> > >
> > > But feel free to try it is certainly worth doing if it doesn't
> > > make the
> > > code that uses the user namespaces uglier.
> >
> > If it's interesting for someone, I have this patch in my tree
> > https://github.com/avagin/linux-task-diag/commit/63b32df68ae8d3a384
> > 2bae42bbcae3468db76d85
> >
> > I can't say that it makes something uglier.
>
> I have only skimmed things but overall it looks better than I had
> feared.

It looks about as messy as I feared, but since someone else has done
all the hard work, I'm happy.

> At the same time I really really don't like losing the parent pointer
> in the user namespace case.  That is seriously obfuscating.

Because it has a slightly different meaning from all other namespaces?
 If I assume that's what you mean, I think looking at it in a different
way can solve the problem:  The pointer in ns_common is always to the
owning user_ns, so we can label it as such.  Even for a child user_ns,
the owning user_ns is simply the parent.  I think it makes logical
sense to think of all user_ns to namespace relationships as
owning/owned rather than most as owning/owned and some as parent/child.

James