New namespace design and clone(2) flags exhaustion

Albert Lee trisk at omniti.com
Wed Jun 15 15:40:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> encourage that approach.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile there is a fair amount of work going on to allow unprivileged
>>> fuse mounts which may dove tail with what you are trying to accomplish.
>>>

>> Some background on the immediate problem we were trying to solve,
>> which is largely orthogonal to mounts: Storage pools in ZFS are a tree
>> of datasets, roughly analogous to btrfs subvolumes. Datasets can
>> expose either POSIX filesystem or block device semantics.
>> Administrative operations on datasets include creating and destroying
>> children or clones/snapshots, sending and receiving snapshots, and
>> setting properties.
>>
>> In the zones model, these privileges can be delegated to a specific
>> zone, such that processes in those zones only see a subset of the
>> available datasets. Those datasets are still subject to quotas and
>> other resource limits in their parents. Processes have full access to
>> dataset operations if sufficiently privileged, as interpreted by the
>> zone. (Further down, delegation to unprivileged processes running as
>> specific users and groups within a zone is also possible, though
>> that's outside the immediate scope) This allows a multitenant system
>> to provide storage management to each tenant.
>>
>> We want to provide this functionality to groups of processes in Linux.
>> Initially the target is simple logical containers, but ideally it
>> should not restrict full namespace flexibility and extend to even
>> nested or disjoint mount (and possibly user) namespaces. Hence, we
>> don't want to rely on the mount namespace as the reference object for
>> granting delegation.
>>
>> Our initial attempt was chosen for simplicity for a proof-of-concept
>> and while we tried to make it less specific to our consumer I'm not
>> particularly happy with the design. (Our consumer in the Solaris
>> Porting Layer actually manages zone objects that are then made visible
>> to ZFS). If we have to introduce any changes upstream, it's only
>> feasible do it in a way that is useful to other consumers.
>>
>> Running out of clone(2) flags and the namespace implementations
>> generally not being very extensible present obstacles for us, but
>> suggests that it might be possible to address this in a ways that
>> could both improve things in general and solve our own problem. (The
>> third proposal along those lines in
>> https://github.com/cerana/cerana/issues/143 is a way for modules to
>> implement new namespaces). I haven't seen previous mentions of these
>> things as problems, though, and I'm not convinced I'm not totally
>> crazy either. :)
>
> So as I understand it the issue is one of permissions.  Permissions by
> and large are the domain of the user namespace.
>
> At a very rough level what you want to do is to delegate permissions to
> a user namespace possibly including the ability to further delegate
> permission.
>
> Possibly this should happen in a persistent fashion.

Well, it's about creating a new administrative domain for a specific
group of resources from the set of available ones, of which there may
be an unlimited number. Ideally we want the flexibility to share and
nest (subdivide) these groupings:

Example:
* Parent process can access:
  pool1/dataset1 pool2
* Child process can access:
  pool1/dataset1/child1 pool2/dataset2

We are interested in persistence for the groupings. Since the
namespaces themselves are ephemeral, our current plan is to have
upper-level orchestration software manage the associations. The
implementation sets a property (key/value pair) on the related
datasets which can be stored persistently, although we recreate it
from external configuration.

> In various cases today various in kernel data structures (especially
> other namespacess) have been given a user namespace owner.  Currently
> there is work under way to give filesystems a user namespace owner to
> clean up the semantics, and allow for things such as unprivileged mounts
> of the fuse filesystem.

Something attached to the VFS probably won't be a good fit, as there's
no requirement that datasets be mounted and visible to the VFS, and
datasets with block device semantics (zvols) aren't treated like
filesystems.

> Perhaps I am a man with a hammer seeing every problem as a nail but it
> sounds to me like your ZFS work fits fairly nicely into this model.  I
> can't comment on the dangers of extending the ability to manipulate
> datasets to less privileged users.  Things like that always seems to
> extend the kernel attack surface and have to be done carefully, but it
> always seems to be doable.

I think tying a a specific user namespace to the admin domain for our
resources is at least the simpler model, but may have undesirable side
effects on other resources we may manage since it constrains the
boundaries for sharing and nesting (as James' reply also mentions).

-Albert