Thoughts on tightening up user namespace creation

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 8 06:06:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 09:15:25PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> There are several users and distros that are nervous about user
> namespaces from an attack surface point of view.
>
>  - RHEL and Arch have userns disabled.
>
>  - Ubuntu requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN

No, it does not.  It has temporarily re-added a sysctl which can enable
that behavior, but it's not set by default.  The reason for providing it
is not a distrust of user namespaces in general, but because we're enabling
some bleeding edge patches which haven't been accepted upstream yet.  Once
they're accepted upstream I expect that patch to be dropped again, unless
it has gone upstream.

Debian does afaik still have a version of a patch I'd originally written
before user namespaces were upstream which defaulted unprivileged userns
cloning to off.  Did you mean Debian here?