RFC(v2): Audit Kernel Container IDs

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 00:05:27 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-17 01:10, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 10/16/2017 5:33 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> >> Hang on. If containers are a user space concept, how can
> >> you want CAP_CONTAINER_ANYTHING? If there's not such thing as
> >> a container, how can you be asking for a capability to manage
> >> them?
> > There is such a thing, but the kernel doesn't know about it yet.
>
> Then how can it be the kernel's place to control access to a
> container resource, that is, the containerID.

Ok, let me try to address your objections.

The kernel can know enough that if it is already set to not allow it to
be set again.  Or if the user doesn't have permission to set it that the
user be denied this action.  How is this different from loginuid and
sessionid?

> >   This
> > same situation exists for loginuid and sessionid which are userspace
> > concepts that the kernel tracks for the convenience of userspace.
>
> Ah, no. Loginuid identifies a user, which is a kernel concept in
> that a user is defined by the uid.

This simple explanation doesn't help me.  What makes that a kernel
concept?  The fact that it is stored and compared in more than one
place?

> The session ID has well defined kernel semantics. You're trying to say
> that the containerID is an opaque value that is meaningless to the
> kernel, but you still want the kernel to protect it. How can the
> kernel know if it is protecting it correctly?

How so?  A userspace process triggers this.  Does the kernel know what
these values mean?  Does it do anything with them other than report
them or allow audit to filter them?  It is given some instructions on
how to treat it.

This is what we're trying to do with the containerID.

> >   As
> > for its name, I'm not particularly picky, so if you don't like
> > CAP_CONTAINER_* then I'm fine with CAP_AUDIT_CONTAINERID.  It really
> > needs to be distinct from CAP_AUDIT_WRITE and CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL since we
> > don't want to give the ability to set a containerID to any process that
> > is able to do audit logging (such as vsftpd) and similarly we don't want
> > to give the orchestrator the ability to control the setup of the audit
> > daemon.
>
> Sorry, but what aspect of the kernel security policy is this
> capability supposed to protect? That's what capabilities are
> for, not the undefined support of undefined user-space behavior.

Similarly, loginuids and sessionIDs are only used for audit tracking and
filtering.

> If it's audit behavior, you want CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL. If it's
> more than audit behavior you have to define what system security
> policy you're dealing with in order to pick the right capability.

It isn't audit behaviour (yet), it is audit reporting information, a
level above simply writing logs and a level below controlling daemon
behaviour.

> We get this request pretty regularly. "I need my own capability
> because I have a niche thing that isn't part of the system security
> policy but that is important!" Fit the containerID into the
> system security policy, and if that results in using CAP_SYS_ADMIN,
> oh well.

There's far too much piled in to CAP_SYS_ADMIN already, which is making
capabilites less and less useful.  I realize that capabilities are
limited compared with netlink message types, but this falls in between
the abilities needed by CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL and CAP_AUDIT_WRITE.

I'll continue on Steve Grubb's comment...

- RGB