RFC(v2): Audit Kernel Container IDs

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Thu Oct 19 13:32:30 UTC 2017

On 10/18/2017 5:05 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> On 2017-10-17 01:10, Casey Schaufler wrote:

>>> There is such a thing, but the kernel doesn't know about it yet.
>> Then how can it be the kernel's place to control access to a
>> container resource, that is, the containerID.
> Ok, let me try to address your objections.
>
> The kernel can know enough that if it is already set to not allow it to
> be set again.  Or if the user doesn't have permission to set it that the
> user be denied this action.  How is this different from loginuid and
> sessionid?
>>>   This
>>> same situation exists for loginuid and sessionid which are userspace
>>> concepts that the kernel tracks for the convenience of userspace.
>> Ah, no. Loginuid identifies a user, which is a kernel concept in
>> that a user is defined by the uid.
> This simple explanation doesn't help me.  What makes that a kernel
> concept?  The fact that it is stored and compared in more than one
> place?
>
>> The session ID has well defined kernel semantics. You're trying to say
>> that the containerID is an opaque value that is meaningless to the
>> kernel, but you still want the kernel to protect it. How can the
>> kernel know if it is protecting it correctly?
> How so?  A userspace process triggers this.  Does the kernel know what
> these values mean?  Does it do anything with them other than report
> them or allow audit to filter them?  It is given some instructions on
> how to treat it.
>
> This is what we're trying to do with the containerID.
>
>>>   As
>>> for its name, I'm not particularly picky, so if you don't like
>>> CAP_CONTAINER_* then I'm fine with CAP_AUDIT_CONTAINERID.  It really
>>> needs to be distinct from CAP_AUDIT_WRITE and CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL since we
>>> don't want to give the ability to set a containerID to any process that
>>> is able to do audit logging (such as vsftpd) and similarly we don't want
>>> to give the orchestrator the ability to control the setup of the audit
>>> daemon.
>> Sorry, but what aspect of the kernel security policy is this
>> capability supposed to protect? That's what capabilities are
>> for, not the undefined support of undefined user-space behavior.
> Similarly, loginuids and sessionIDs are only used for audit tracking and
> filtering.

Tell me again why you're not reusing either of these?

>> If it's audit behavior, you want CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL. If it's
>> more than audit behavior you have to define what system security
>> policy you're dealing with in order to pick the right capability.
> It isn't audit behaviour (yet), it is audit reporting information, a
> level above simply writing logs and a level below controlling daemon
> behaviour.

You are changing audit information. That's CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL.

>> We get this request pretty regularly. "I need my own capability
>> because I have a niche thing that isn't part of the system security
>> policy but that is important!" Fit the containerID into the
>> system security policy, and if that results in using CAP_SYS_ADMIN,
>> oh well.
> There's far too much piled in to CAP_SYS_ADMIN already, which is making
> capabilites less and less useful.

No. The value of capabilities is in separating privilege from DAC.
Granularity is a bonus. The current granularity is too fine in some
cases and too coarse in others.

> I realize that capabilities are
> limited compared with netlink message types, but this falls in between
> the abilities needed by CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL and CAP_AUDIT_WRITE.

There is *nothing* about your use that makes a compelling
argument for a new capability. If you can't decide between
CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL and CAP_AUDIT_WRITE require both.