RFC(v2): Audit Kernel Container IDs

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Thu Oct 19 17:47:59 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:
> Paul Moore <paul at paul-moore.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Eric W. Biederman
>> <ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:

>> No worries, we're all a little crazy in our own special ways ;)
>>
>> Kidding aside, thanks for explaining the use case.
>>
>>> Of course some of that gets to running auditd inside a container which
>>> we don't have yet either.
>>>
>>> So I think to start it is perfectly fine to figure out the non-nested
>>> case first and what makes sense there.  Then to sort out the nested
>>> container case.
>>>
>>> The solution might be that a process gets at most one id per ``audit
>>> namespace''.
>>
>> In an attempt to stay on-topic, let's try to stick with "audit
>> container ID" or "container ID" if you must.  I really want to avoid
>> the term "audit namespace" simply because the term "namespace" implies
>> some things which we aren't planning on doing.
>
> This is 100% on topic.  I am saying that unless we are planing to have
> auditd running in a container with it's own set of rules you probably
> don't care about nested containers.  Last time I heard a discussion
> about that the term in use was audit namespace.   So I was referring to
> that support when I said audit namespace, even if the end result only
> loosely fits the term namespace.

My "stay on-topic" comment is directed at, and limited to, your choice
of terminology, not the discussion about container nesting.  I'm
purposefully not using the term "audit namespace" to refer to anything
that Richard has presented, and I'm kindly asking you to do the same,
it simply doesn't fit.

> I could be wrong of course.  I don't fully understand what is driving
> the desire to connect audit and containers.  But my naive guess is that
> one from an audit perspective you don't care about nested containers
> unless there is also a nested auditd who is looking at it from a nested
> perspective.

Two motivations that are clear to me: the first is the desire to be
able to associate events in the audit log with a container (much like
how the session ID helped us associate events with a login session),
the second is the desire for users to run an audit daemon instance in
their containers to capture audit events generated by their container.
There is also a security certification motivation, see some of Steve's
comments for more on that.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com