Announcing LXC, LXD and LXCFS 3.0 LTS

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 11 21:25:00 UTC 2018

The LXC, LXD and LXCFS teams are proud to announce the release of the
3.0 version of all three projects.

This is an LTS release which comes with 5 years of upstream support for
bugfixes and security updates, in this case until June 2023.

We'd like to note that despite the major version bump, no APIs have been
broken and both liblxc and the LXD REST API remain backward compatible.

Our existing 2.0 LTS will now be getting one last major bugfix update
over the next month or so before going into a much slower maintenance
phase where only critical bugfixes, special requests and security fixes
get backported.

LXD highlights (since LXD 2.21):

 - Support for clustering LXD servers together
 - New tool to convert existing systems into containers
 - Support for NVIDIA runtime & library passthrough
 - Hotplug support for unix-char and unix-block devices
 - Local copy/move of storage volumes
 - Remote transfer of storage volumes
 - A new `proxy` device type to forward TCP connections
 - Event based notification in the /dev/lxd API
 - Replaced our command line parser
 - New lifecycle events for tracking/auditing

LXC highlights (since LXC 2.1):

 - Introduction of some new configuration keys (see list in announcement)
 - Improved CLI
 - Support for CGroupV2
 - Template scripts have been moved out of tree
 - Support for using images generated by our new `distrobuilder` tool
 - Support for using OCI images for application containers
 - Ring buffer based console logging
 - Argument filtering in Seccomp policies
 - Daemonized application containers
 - Deprecation and rename of some config keys (`lxc-update-config` to convert)
 - Removal of legacy CGroup drivers (cgmanager & cgfs in favor of cgfsng)
 - Removal of the aufs storage backend (use overlayfs)

LXCFS highlights (since LXCFS 2.0):

 - libpam-cgfs has been moved over to LXC

The announcements for the 3 projects can be found here:

 - LXD 3.0: https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxd-3-0-0-has-been-released/1491
 - LXC 3.0: https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-3-0-0-has-been-released/1449
 - LXCFS 3.0: https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxcfs-3-0-0-has-been-released/1440

We'd like to thank all of our contributors and our amazing community for
their contributions, bug reports and help testing those releases!

On behalf of the LXC, LXD and LXCFS teams,

Stéphane Graber