RFC(V3): Audit Kernel Container IDs

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 06:54:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-09 19:05, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Please let's have a description of the problem you are trying to solve.

I thought the first sentence of the second paragraph summed it up rather
well.

Here are the elaborated motivations:

- Filter unwanted, irrelevant or unimportant messages before they fill
  queue so important messages don't get lost.  This is a certification
  requirement.

- Make security claims about containers, require tracking of actions
  within those containers to ensure compliance with established security
  policies.

- Route messages from events to local audit daemon instance or host
  audit daemon instance

- Tried nsIDs, but insufficient for efficient filtering, routing,
  tracking

> A proposed solution without talking about the problem space is useless.
> Any proposed solution could potentially work.
>
> I know to these exist.  There is motivation for your work.
> What is the motivation?
> What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> In particular what information are you trying to get into logs that you
> can not get into the logs today?
>
> I am going to try to give this the attention it deserves but right now I
> am having to deal with half thought out patches for information leaks
> from speculative code paths, so I won't be able to give this much
> attention for a little bit.
>
> Eric

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems