RFC(V3): Audit Kernel Container IDs

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 07:00:11 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-09 11:18, Simo Sorce wrote:
> [...]
> > namespace will need to track all containers to which it has been
> > assigned.
> >
> > Upon registration, the target process' namespace IDs (in the form of a
> > nsfs device number and inode number tuple) will be recorded in an
> > AUDIT_NS_INFO auxilliary record.
> >
> > Log the destruction of every namespace that is no longer used by any
> > process, including the namespace IDs (device and inode number tuples).
> > [AUDIT_NS_DESTROY] [process exit, unshare(2), setns(2)]
> >
> > Issue a new auxilliary record AUDIT_NS_CHANGE listing (opt: op=$action)
> > the parent and child namespace IDs for any changes to a process'
> > namespaces. [setns(2)]
> > Note: It may be possible to combine AUDIT_NS_* record formats and
> > distinguish them with an op=$action field depending on the fields
> > required for each message type.
> >
> > The audit container identifier will need to be reaped from all
> > implicated namespaces upon the destruction of a container.
> >
> > This namespace information adds supporting information for tracking
> > events not attributable to specific processes.
> >
> > Changelog:
> >
> > (Upstream V3)
> > - switch back to u64 (from pmoore, can be expanded to u128 in future if
> >   need arises without breaking API.  u32 was originally proposed, up to
> >   c36 discussed)
> > - write-once, but children inherit audit container identifier and can
> >   then still be written once
> > - switch to CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL
> > - group namespace actions together, auxilliary records to namespace
> >   operations.
> >
> > (Upstream V2)
> > - switch from u64 to u128 UUID
> > - switch from "signal" and "trigger" to "register"
> > - restrict registration to single process or force all threads and
> >   children into same container
>
> I am trying to understand the back and forth on the ID size.
>
> From an orchestrator POV anything that requires tracking a node
> specific ID is not ideal.
>
> Orchestrators tend to span many nodes, and containers tend to have IDs
> that are either UUID or have a Hash (like SHA256) as identifier.
>
> The problem here is two-fold:
>
> a) Your auditing requires some mapping to be useful outside of the
> system.
> If you aggreggate audit logs outside of the system or you want to
> correlate the system audit logs with other components dealing with
> containers, now you need a place where you provide a mapping from your
> audit u64 to the ID a container has in the rest of the system.
>
> b) Now you need a mapping of some sort. The simplest way a container
> orchestrator can go about this is to just use the UUID or Hash
> representing their view of the container, truncate it to a u64 and use
> that for Audit. This means there are some chances there will be a
> collision and a duplicate u64 ID will be used by the orchestrator as
> the container ID. What happen in that case ?

Paul, can you justify this somewhat larger inconvenience for some
relatively minor convenience on our part?  u64 vs u128 is easy for us to
accomodate in terms of scalar comparisons.  It doubles the information
in every container id field we print in audit records.  A c36 is a
bigger step.

> Simo.

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems