shiftfs status and future development

Aleksa Sarai asarai at suse.de
Fri Jun 15 14:54:38 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-14, Seth Forshee <seth.forshee at canonical.com> wrote:
> I wanted to inquire about the current status of shiftfs and the plans
> for it moving forward. We'd like to have this functionality available
> for use in lxd, and I'm interesetd in helping with development (or
> picking up development if it's stalled).
>
> To start, is anyone still working on shiftfs or similar functionality? I
> haven't found it in any git tree on kernel.org, and as far as mailing
> list activity the last submission I can find is [1]. Is there anything
> newer than this?

James Bottomley demoed the current status of shiftfs at the last Linux
Plumbers' Conference. Personally, it looked like some of the motivations
behind why we needed a shiftfs (and what it should look like) were lost
over time, and the result is that the patchset mutated and has
effectively stalled development for over a year (as far as I know it
hasn't been posted again in over a year, and nobody is carrying it in
their tree).

I agree with Serge that if we want to restart its development someone
should write down what the requirements and goals are to avoid having a
patchset which mutates over many review cycles.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)