[RFC 0/3] seccomp trap to userspace

Andy Lutomirski luto at kernel.org
Fri Mar 16 00:46:55 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Tycho Andersen <tycho at tycho.ws> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 05:11:32PM +0000, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:
>> > Hm, synchronously - that brings to mind a thought...  I should re-look at
>> > Tycho's patches first, but, if I'm in a container, start some syscall that
>> > gets trapped to userspace, then I hit ctrl-c.  I'd like to be able to have
>> > the handler be interrupted and have it return -EINTR.  Is that going to
>> > be possible with the synchronous approach?
>>
>> I think so, but it should be possible with the classic async approach
>> too.  The main issue is the difference between a classic filter like
>> this (pseudocode):
>>
>> if (nr == SYS_mount) return TRAP_TO_USERSPACE;
>>
>> and the eBPF variant:
>>
>> if (nr == SYS_mount) trap_to_userspace();
>
> Sargun started a private design discussion thread that I don't think
> you were on, but Alexei said something to the effect of "eBPF programs
> will never wait on userspace", so I'm not sure we can do something
> like this in an eBPF program. I'm cc-ing him here again to confirm,
> but I doubt things have changed.
>
>> I admit that it's still not 100% clear to me that the latter is
>> genuinely more useful than the former.
>>
>> The case where I think the synchronous function call is a huge win is this one:
>>
>> if (nr  == SYS_mount) {
>>   log("Someone called mount with args %lx\n", ...);
>>   return RET_KILL;
>> }
>>
>> The idea being that the log message wouldn't show up in the kernel log
>> -- it would get sent to the listener socket belonging to whoever
>> created the filter, and that process could then go and log it
>> properly.  This would work perfectly in containers and in totally
>> unprivileged applications like Chromium.
>
> The current implementation can't do exactly this, but you could do:
>
> if (nr == SYS_mount) {
>     log(...);
>     kill(pid, SIGKILL);
> }
>
> from the handler instead.
>
> I guess Serge is asking a slightly different question: what if the
> task gets e.g. SIGINT from the user doing a ^C or SIGALARM or
> something, we should probably send the handler some sort of message or
> interrupt to let it know that the syscall was cancelled. Right now the
> current set doesn't behave that way, and the handler will just
> continue on its merry way and get an EINVAL when it tries to respond
> with the cancelled cookie.

Hmm, I think we have to be very careful to avoid nasty races.  I think
the correct approach is to notice the signal and send a message to the
listener that a signal is pending but to take no additional action.
If the handler ends up completing the syscall with a successful
return, we don't want to replace it with -EINTR.  IOW the code looks
kind of like:

send_to_listener("hey I got a signal");
wait_ret = wait_interruptible for the listener to reply;
if (wait_ret == -EINTR) {
  send_to_listener("hey there's a signal");
  wait_ret = wait_killable for the listener to reply to the original request;
}

if (wait_ret == -EINTR) {
  /* hmm, this next line might not actually be necessary, but it's
harmless and possibly useful */
  send_to_listener("hey we're going away");
  /* and stop waiting */
}

... actually handle the result.

--Andy