[RFC 00/20] ns: Introduce Time Namespace

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Sep 26 17:36:29 UTC 2018

Andrey Vagin <avagin at virtuozzo.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:02:32AM +0200, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Andrey Vagin <avagin at virtuozzo.com> writes:

>> > Hi Eric,
>> >
>> > Thank you for the feedback.

>> > It is an interesting idea, but I have a few questions:
>> >
>> > 1. Does it mean that timekeeping_update() will be called for each
>> > namespace? This functions is called periodically, it updates times on the
>> > timekeeper structure, updates vsyscall_gtod_data, etc. What will be an
>> > overhead of this?
>>
>> I don't know if periodically is a proper characterization.  There may be
>> a code path that does that.  But from what I can see timekeeping_update
>> is the guts of settimeofday (and a few related functions).
>>
>> So it appears to make sense for timekeeping_update to be per namespace.
>>
>> Hmm.  Looking at what is updated in the vsyscall_gtod_data it does
>> look like you would have to periodically update things, but I don't know
>> big that period would be.  As long as the period is reasonably large,
>> or the time namespaces were sufficiently deschronized it should not
>> be a problem.  But that is the class of problem that could make
>> my ideal impractical if there is measuarable overhead.
>>
>> Where were you seeing timekeeping_update being called periodically?
>
> timekeeping_update() is called HZ times per-second:
>
> [   67.912858]  timekeeping_update.cold.26+0x5/0xa
> [   67.913332]  timekeeping_advance+0x361/0x5c0
> [   67.913857]  ? tick_sched_do_timer+0x55/0x70
> [   67.914409]  ? tick_sched_do_timer+0x70/0x70
> [   67.914947]  tick_sched_do_timer+0x55/0x70
> [   67.915505]  tick_sched_timer+0x27/0x70
> [   67.916042]  __hrtimer_run_queues+0x10f/0x440
> [   67.916639]  hrtimer_interrupt+0x100/0x220
> [   67.917305]  smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x79/0x220
> [   67.918030]  apic_timer_interrupt+0xf/0x20

Interesting.

Reading the code the calling sequence there is:
tick_sched_do_timer
   tick_do_update_jiffies64
      update_wall_time
          timekeeping_advance
             timekeepging_update

If I read that properly under the right nohz circumstances that update
can be delayed indefinitely.

So I think we could prototype a time namespace that was per
timekeeping_update and just had update_wall_time iterate through
all of the time namespaces.

I don't think the naive version would scale to very many time
namespaces.

At the same time using the techniques from the nohz work and a little
smarts I expect we could get the code to scale.

I think this direction is definitely worth exploring.  My experience
with namespaces is that if we don't get the advanced features working
there is little to no interest from the core developers of the code,
and the namespaces don't solve additional problems.  Which makes the
namespace a hard sell.  Especially when it does not solve problems the
developers of the subsystem have.

The advantage of timekeeping_update per time namespace is that it allows
different lengths of seconds per time namespace.  Which allows testing
ntp and the kernel in interesting ways while still having a working
production configuration on the same system.