pivot_root(".", ".") and the fchdir() dance

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) mtk.manpages at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 11:02:12 UTC 2019

Hello Eric,

On 9/30/19 2:42 PM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Eric,
>>
>> A ping on my question below. Could you take a look please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael

>>> So, now I am a little confused by the comments you added here. Do you
>>> now mean that the
>>>
>>> mount("", ".", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL);
>>>
>>> call is not actually necessary?
>
> Apologies for being slow getting back to you.

NP. Thanks for your reply.

> To my knowledge there are two cases where pivot_root is used.
> - In the initial mount namespace from a ramdisk when mounting root.
>    This is the original use case and somewhat historical as rootfs
>    (aka an initial ramfs) may not be unmounted.
>
> - When setting up a new mount namespace to jettison all of the mounts
>    you don't need.
>
> The sequence:
>
> 	chdir(new_root);
>          pivot_root(".", ".");
>          umount2(".", MNT_DETACH);
>
> is perfect for both use cases (as nothing needs to be known about the
> directory layout of the new root filesystem).
>
> In the case when you are setting up a new mount namespace propogating
> changes in the mount layout to another mount namespace is fatal.  But
> that is not a concern for using that pivot_root sequence above because
> pivot_root will fail deterministically if
> 'mount("", ".", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL)' is needed but not specified.
>
> So I would document the above sequence of three system calls in the
> man-page.

Okay. I've changed the example to be just those three calls.

> I would document that pivot_root will fail if propagation would occur.

Yep. That's in the page already.

> I would document in pivot_root or under unshare(CLONE_NEWNS) that if
> mount propagation is enabled (the default with systemd) that you
> need to call 'mount("", "/", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL);' or
> 'mount("", "/", MS_PRIVATE | MS_REC, NULL);' after creating a mount
> namespace.  Or mounts will propagate backwards, which is usually
> not what people want.

Thanks. Instead, I have added the following text to
mount_namespaces(7), the page that is referred to by both clone(2) and
unshare(2) in their discussions of CLONE_NEWNS:

        An   application  that  creates  a  new  mount  namespace
        directly using clone(2) or unshare(2) may desire to  pre‐
        vent  propagation  of  mount events to other mount names‐
        paces (as is is done by unshare(1)).  This can be done by
        changing  the propagation type of mount points in the new
        namesapace to either MS_SLAVE  or  MS_PRIVATE.   using  a
        call such as the following:

                   mount(NULL, "/", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL);

> Creating of a mount namespace in a user namespace automatically does
> 'mount("", "/", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL);' if the starting mount
> namespace was not created in that user namespace.  AKA creating
> a mount namespace in a user namespace does the unshare for you.

Oh -- I had forgotten that detail. But it is documented
(by you, I think) in mount_namespaces(7):

        *  A  mount  namespace  has  an  owner user namespace.  A
           mount namespace whose owner user namespace is  differ‐
           ent  from the owner user namespace of its parent mount
           namespace is considered a less privileged mount names‐
           pace.

        *  When  creating  a  less  privileged  mount  namespace,
           shared mounts are reduced to  slave  mounts.   (Shared
           and  slave  mounts are discussed below.)  This ensures
           that  mappings  performed  in  less  privileged  mount
           namespaces will not propagate to more privileged mount
           namespaces.

There's one point that description that troubles me. There is a
reference to "parent mount namespace", but as I understand things
there is no parental relationship among mount namespaces instances
(or am I wrong?). Should that wording not be rather something
like "the mount namespace of the process that created this mount
namespace"?

Thanks,

Michael