seccomp feature development

Sargun Dhillon sargun at sargun.me
Tue May 19 07:24:52 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:39:39AM +0200, Jann Horn wrote:
> > For user_notif, I think we need something in and around these options:
> >
> > - make a new API that explicitly follows EA struct design
> >   (and while read()/write() might be easier[4], I tend to agree with
> >   Jann and we need to stick to ioctl(): as Tycho noted, "read/write is
> >   for data". Though I wonder if read() could be used for the notifications,
> >   which ARE data, and use ioctl() for the responses?)
>
> Just as a note: If we use read() there, we'll never be able to
> transfer things like FDs through that API.

Although there is no good reason for read being able to receive FDs, there is
precedence for recvmsg being able to do this. Either way, I do not think
it's a good idea to recv file descriptors, and instead file descriptors
should be fetched via the pidfd_getfd syscall.

Injection is more complicated, and for now, I believe that "writes" should
be done via ioctl, or in the future, something like sendmsg might work.