For review: seccomp_user_notif(2) manual page

Kees Cook keescook at chromium.org
Wed Oct 28 22:53:04 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:51:02AM +0100, Jann Horn wrote:
> The problem is the scenario where a process is interrupted while it's
> waiting for the supervisor to reply.
>
> Consider the following scenario (with supervisor "S" and target "T"; S
> wants to wait for events on two file descriptors seccomp_fd and
> other_fd):
>
> S: starts poll() to wait for events on seccomp_fd and other_fd
> T: performs a syscall that's filtered with RET_USER_NOTIF
> S: poll() returns and signals readiness of seccomp_fd
> T: receives signal SIGUSR1
> T: syscall aborts, enters signal handler
> T: signal handler blocks on unfiltered syscall (e.g. write())
> S: starts SECCOMP_IOCTL_NOTIF_RECV
> S: blocks because no syscalls are pending

Oooh, yes, ew. Thanks for the illustration.

Thinking about this from userspace's least-surprise view, I would expect
the "recv" to stay "queued", in the sense we'd see this:

S: starts poll() to wait for events on seccomp_fd and other_fd
T: performs a syscall that's filtered with RET_USER_NOTIF
S: poll() returns and signals readiness of seccomp_fd
T: receives signal SIGUSR1
T: syscall aborts, enters signal handler
T: signal handler blocks on unfiltered syscall (e.g. write())
S: starts SECCOMP_IOCTL_NOTIF_RECV
S: gets (stale) seccomp_notif from seccomp_fd
S: sends seccomp_notif_resp, receives ENOENT (or some better errno?)

This is not at all how things are designed internally right now, but
that behavior would work, yes?

--
Kees Cook