For review: seccomp_user_notif(2) manual page

Tycho Andersen tycho at tycho.pizza
Wed Sep 30 23:03:27 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 10:34:51PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hi Tycho,
>
> Thanks for taking time to look at the page!
>
> On 9/30/20 5:03 PM, Tycho Andersen wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 01:07:38PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> >>        2. In order that the supervisor process can obtain  notifications
> >>           using  the  listening  file  descriptor, (a duplicate of) that
> >>           file descriptor must be passed from the target process to  the
> >>           supervisor process.  One way in which this could be done is by
> >>           passing the file descriptor over a UNIX domain socket  connec‐
> >>           tion between the two processes (using the SCM_RIGHTS ancillary
> >>           message type described in unix(7)).   Another  possibility  is
> >>           that  the  supervisor  might  inherit  the file descriptor via
> >>           fork(2).
> >
> > It is technically possible to inherit the fd via fork, but is it
> > really that useful? The child process wouldn't be able to actually do
> > the syscall in question, since it would have the same filter.
>
> D'oh! Yes, of course.
>
> I think I was reaching because in an earlier conversation
> you replied:
>
> [[
> > 3. The "target process" passes the "listening file descriptor"
> >    to the "monitoring process" via the UNIX domain socket.
>
> or some other means, it doesn't have to be with SCM_RIGHTS.
> ]]
>
> So, what other means?
>
> Anyway, I removed the sentence mentioning fork().

Whatever means people want :). fork() could work (it's how some of the
tests for this feature work, but it's not particularly useful I don't
think), clone(CLONE_FILES) is similar, seccomp_putfd, or maybe even
cloning it via some pidfd interface that might be invented for
re-opening files.

> >>        ┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
> >>        │FIXME                                                │
> >>        ├─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
> >>        │From my experiments,  it  appears  that  if  a  SEC‐ │
> >>        │COMP_IOCTL_NOTIF_RECV   is  done  after  the  target │
> >>        │process terminates, then the ioctl()  simply  blocks │
> >>        │(rather than returning an error to indicate that the │
> >>        │target process no longer exists).                    │
> >
> > Yeah, I think Christian wanted to fix this at some point,
>
> Do you have a pointer that discussion? I could not find it with a
> quick search.
>
> > but it's a
> > bit sticky to do.
>
> Can you say a few words about the nature of the problem?

I remembered wrong, it's actually in the tree: 99cdb8b9a573 ("seccomp:
notify about unused filter"). So maybe there's a bug here?

> >>        ┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
> >>        │FIXME                                                │
> >>        ├─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
> >>        │Interestingly, after the event  had  been  received, │
> >>        │the  file descriptor indicates as writable (verified │
> >>        │from the source code and by experiment). How is this │
> >>        │useful?                                              │
> >
> > You're saying it should just do EPOLLOUT and not EPOLLWRNORM? Seems
> > reasonable.
>
> No, I'm saying something more fundamental: why is the FD indicating as
> writable? Can you write something to it? If yes, what? If not, then
> why do these APIs want to say that the FD is writable?

You can't via read(2) or write(2), but conceptually NOTIFY_RECV and
NOTIFY_SEND are reading and writing events from the fd. I don't know
that much about the poll interface though -- is it possible to
indicate "here's a pseudo-read event"? It didn't look like it, so I
just (ab-)used POLLIN and POLLOUT, but probably that's wrong.

Tycho