[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux Desktop IntegrationInterface

Brooks, Phil phil_brooks at mentor.com
Sun Dec 4 22:01:21 PST 2005

As an attendee at the ISV session, the ISV issue of two widget development =
environments was certainly a point of contention between the ISVs (there sh=
ould be 1 widget set like on Windows and Mac) vs. reps from the two desktop=
s (there isn't any way to do that).
 =

I wonder in retrospect if the ISV issue would be more accurately voiced as =
there being two second class widget sets.  I mean not that the widget sets =
themselves are in any way flawed, but there is the distinct flavor of the d=
evelopment libraries being firmly attached to one or the other desktop and =
being in some way second class on the other desktop.  =

 =

I wonder if it would be possible, from both a marketing viewpoint, and a te=
chnical viewpoint, to remove the widget set preference for the desktops as =
far as hosted ISV applications are concerned.  That way, an ISV could choos=
e between the widget sets on their own technical merits, and (eventually) n=
ot worry about that widget set providing a better user experience for one d=
esktop and not fitting in well with the other.
 =

What would that take?