[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux DesktopIntegrationInterface

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Sun Dec 4 22:45:33 PST 2005

Both Redhat and Novell have tried to address that issue by developing widget-styles that make the two widget sets look similar. That's one step. The other step is to actively identify tie-ins with the desktop environment, define common interfaces for such functionality (like Portland does) and then have the development libraries use those interfaces instead.
In some cases it may be easier to settle on a common solution between the two desktops. Font configuration (e.g. which font to use in menus / toolbars / etc.) comes to mind as an area that could be improved this way.

Cheers,
Waldo