[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux DesktopIntegrationInterface

Brooks, Phil phil_brooks at mentor.com
Mon Dec 5 09:24:50 PST 2005

> I think that is true for Delphi, was for some time for .NET 1.0, still
is to some degree for 1.1 (a fair number of apps come with the 1.1
redist) and will be for WinFX and .NET 2.0 for at least a year
after their respective ship dates.

> And MFC version profusion has been a problem basically as long as
people have been using MFC, I think.  Also: every game in the land comes
with DX8 or 9, because they can't trust the user's system to have it.

Completely different issue.  Version skew and version dependencies will
always be around.  That isn't the same as a binary choice that turns
functionality on or off depending upon decisions that you make when
installing completely up to date software.  Version skew goes away with
time and updates and bugfixes.