[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux DesktopIntegrationInterface

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Dec 5 11:00:56 PST 2005

Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 19:42 schrieb Mike Shaver:

Hi,

> Version skew and dependencies only go away over time if you have a
> "stable" (in the biological sense) set of capabilities.  I don't
> think we aspire to that.

Yes, version skew _never_ goes away. There are imho only two scenarios:

1st: The platform is developed. In this case the version skew problem is
preserved because as soon as some old version skew issue is solved some new
version skew problem pops up.

2nd: The platform is stagnant which basically means it is dead. In this case
the respective stakeholders most probably have no interest in solving the
final version skew issues. So it is an expected outcome that the version skew
is preserved just in the moment when the platfrom is considered dead.

IMHO a technical answer to this challenge is to go away from static interfaces
and use more dynamic late "binding" interfaces and protocols. The later can
be leveraged to provide more easy and flexible upgrade paths without breaking
existing installations or creating incompatible installations.

Just look how well the internet protocols did develop during the last two
decades. IMHO this is largly due to the fact that it is based on protocols
not method calling conventions......

The later is already a problem on the Windows platform. E.g. I know of cases
where different applications require different versions of dlls or
environments which are not offered by MS for parallel installations in
general.

I want to avoid this problem for the Linux Desktop without parallel
installs(*) of different versions of the same service provider.

Regards,
-- martin
(*) Parallel installs are only band-aid like workarounds instead of a solution
of the problem. It can easily happen that you need many parallel installs
with many different ISV offerings available for the Linux Desktop
ecosystem....

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/