[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux Desktop IntegrationInterface

Steve Northover Steve_Northover at ca.ibm.com
Mon Dec 5 11:18:21 PST 2005

I was listing the platforms and the candidates.

Look, we enter into the realm of philosophy here, rathole or not.  I
almost didn't post because of that.  Philosophical discussions go on and
on ... I suggest we agree to disagree and end it.

George Staikos <staikos at kde.org>
12/05/2005 01:48 PM

Steve Northover/Ottawa/IBM at IBMCA
cc
desktop_architects at lists.osdl.org
Subject
Re: [Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux Desktop IntegrationInterface

On Monday 05 December 2005 12:09, Steve Northover wrote:
> What?
>
> While there are many possible widget toolkits that execute on a given
> platform, by definition, the native widgets for the platform come from
the
> operating system vendor.  The operating system vendors define the look
and

  If you want to use that argument, then these are wrong:

> Unix (AIX, HP, Solaris)
> - Motif
> - GTK (Solaris only)
>
> Linux
> - GTK+
> - Qt
> - Fox
> - Motif
> - ... others?

  They boil down to pure Xlib.

  Unless you want to talk "operating system vendors define the look", in
which
case the only native thing is a completely non-customized app, which uses
exactly and only what the OS vendor uses, and that means every Linux
distribution is a different OS entirely from an ISV perspective.

  This is more of a 'rathole' than anything that came up in Portland.  The

fact of the matter is, using different widget libraries is common on all
platforms, and is -not- the problem here.  It's being treated as a
scapegoat
for inability to properly define the real problem.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer