[Desktop_architects] Version skew (Was: Portland: The LinuxDesktopIntegrationInterface)

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Dec 5 14:23:11 PST 2005

Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 21:20 schrieb Bastian, Waldo:

Hi,

> Another part of the version skew solution is to have more structural
> support for LD_LIBRARY_PATH style hacks, so that it becomes easier for an
> application to ensure that there is a basic level of functionality present.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not really working in more complex settings. This mainly
due to the fact that an ISV must deliver its own version of _all_ ever used
libraries in order to prevent unpredictable behaviour.

The problem shows when the dependency graph between the libraries is not a
plain simple tree anymore.

Actually if you decide to go the LD_LIBRARY_PATH you also could simply link
statically instead. Typically there is not much won with using  shared
libraries and LD_LIBRARY_PATH if the ISV decides to deliver its complete own
private  software stack itself as there is not much left for sharing with
other applications...

IIRC Alex reported that Vmware brings something like 40 libraries with it.

They are using LD_LIBRARY_PATH though I fail to understand why static linking
would not have been an option. I can only guess that he decided to link
dynamically to his own set of libraries using LD_LIBRARY_PATH because some
library had problems with static linking?

In short: I am happy that LD_LIBRARY_PATH exists as a band-aid but it by far
does not solve the real problem in a sufficient and efficient manner.

In case you consider to deliver the full software stack with your application
you amy also think about delivering ISV apps using Vmware freeplayer ;-)

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/