[Desktop_architects] Portland: The Linux DesktopIntegrationInterface

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Dec 5 15:45:38 PST 2005

Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 00:23 schrieb Michael Sweet:

Hi,

> >> KDE/Qt doesn't allow binary distribution (9)
> >> unless you buy a license from Trolltech...
> >
> >    Specifically, GPL-incompatible binary distribution.  You can write GPL
> > compatible code and distribute binaries for it.
>
> Right, from the standpoint of traditional ISVs, forcing the GPL can be
> a non-starter.

This is more than understandable looking the traditional ISV business model.

Well, then the ISV has to two choices:

- Buy a license for every developer seat for qt

- Use another toolkit

Michael obviously chose the second because the extra value of Qt was not high
enough for him to pay for the Qt license. Most probably in his case the extra
effort required to deal with FLTK was not significant.

Though your mileage with other projects may vary significantly.

I am currently thinking of about how to offer users of toolkits like FLTK a
proper way to integrate with the Linux Desktop without only offering them
commandline tools.

Yours,
-- martin

--