[Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Dec 5 17:21:57 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:

>>      Perhaps distros should somewhere document for which config they
>>      have opted (for now one sees at least the settings in the config
>>      tool).
>

> PLEASE! :)
>
> Actually, the new on-line help support in CUPS 1.2 allows you to just
> stick a HTML file (or files) in /usr/share/doc/cups/help which provides
> those details.  The files are automatically searchable and indexed...
> (somewhat primitive right now - you need to add anchors for all of the
> things you want to search/index, but easy to do!)
>
> Perhaps we should include a template file in the CUPS distribution which
> can be patched by the distro packagers for the local changes?

I did not know about that function. So I will make use of it for
Mandriva 2007.

>>    – Poorly tested/integrated addons
>>      (cupsconfigdaemon,
>>      printconf, Foomatic)
>>
>>     -->
>>      Do not know anything about config daemon, which distro? Foomatic is
>

> Red Hat and SuSE both have cups-config-daemon.

Mandriva does not use a config daemon for CUPS. USB printer hot-plugging
is done by triggering a script with UDEV.

>>      needed for legacy printer support, as many drivers existed already
>>      before CUPS and there is no one volunteering to convert them to
>>      CUPS DDK. And there are vector drivers which cannot be converted
>>      to CUPS DDK. I would appreciate much if we reach a situation where
>>      there are no GhostScript built-in drivers any more (except plug-in
>>      interfaces "cups" and "ijs"). Foomatic was developed in times where
>>      there was active development on many spoolers, nowadays all except
>>      CUPS died, so now for new raster drivers it is really best to
>>      develop them with CUPS DDK.
>

> I'd *really* like to see Foomatic tie back into the CUPS 1.2 driver
> interface (I'll add a sample program soon that you can start with)
> so that driver discovery can happen in one place.

I am looking forward for this. Sounds interesting.

>>    – Poor integration with iptables and SELinux
>>
>> ● Common tasks, e.g. add/delete/modify/share
>>   printers, are buried in strange places that are
>>   hard to find and/or use
>>
>>  -->
>>   Do you mean that every distro has its own config tools, with different
>>   user interfaces? Some more sophisticated some more basic? The same
>>   problem then also occurs for network, scanner, firewall, ...
>

> Yes, plus "standard" KDE and GNOME applications are exposed in
> different places.  This makes it very difficult for printer
> manufacturers to support more than a few Linux distros...

If a driver is nicely integrated with CUPS (PPD file in
/usr/share/cups/model, CUPS filter, CUPS backend if there are fancy
bi-di features ...), EVERY printer admin tool should be able to set up
the printer. Most manufacturers show how to proceed with web interface
then, as it is always available.

>> CUPS: Dependencies
>> ------------------
>>
>> (projects and needs from each)
>>
>> ● List here – org name and what you need
>>    – GNOME, OpenOffice: Developer contact to improve
>>      printing support
>>
>>     -->
>>      OpenOffice really looks nice, at least all available queues can get
>>      selected and the PPD options are accessible, what misses are the
>>      CUPS-specific pstops options like N-up, etc.
>

> Right - right now simple things like printing a presentation N-up
> are not supported...
>
>>      GNOME needs really improvement, they have a CUPS-supporting
>>      add-printer wizard, but they miss the PPD options in the "File" ->
>>      "Print" dialog (Owen Taylor is maintainer of this and should be
>>      contacted).
>

> Can you email us both (off-line) to do the intros?  Thanks!

Someone please tell me the mail address of Owen Taylor, either in
personal mail or protected (@ --> at).

>>    – KDE: Fix implementation of CUPS interface to work
>>      properly with domain sockets and IPv6
>>
>>     -->
>>      Contact the current KDE Print maintainer, Cristian Tibirna, tibirna
>>      at kde dot org.
>

> I already have bug reports in for the KDE issues and have been talking
> with them.

Great.

>>    – Linux distributors: Reliable developer contacts to
>>      come up with a common standard configuration that
>>      everyone can live with and have documented
>>    – linuxprinting.org: Stop using Ghostscript for
>>      PostScript printers!
>>
>>     -->
>>      Use of GhostScript for PostScript printers is not standard with
>>      linuxprinting.org. It is an exception, only being done if the
>>      printers is of a lower PostScript level than the PostScript input
>>      coming from the applications. It must be manually activated
>>      (usually GhostScript is not called) and is only needed for very old
>>      printers. The strategy applied by foomatic-configure and
>>      foomatic-ppdfile (current CVS) is to use manufacturer-supplied
>>      PPDs as they make all functionality and options of the printer
>>      available to the user. Only if there is no manufacturer-supplied
>>      PPD a generic PPD generated by Foomatic is used (so that at least
>>      printing works). With a manufacturer-supplied PPD GhostScript is
>>      never used with a generic PPD GhostScript is only used if the user
>>      explicitly tells that he wants it to be used.
>

> OK, that sounds different than the experiences a lot of users are having
> on the CUPS forums.

Can you post some links? Perhaps some people use a PostScript printer
with a PCL driver.

>> CUPS: Follow on Meetings
>> ------------------------
>>
>> (list of orgs and topics)
>>
>> ● Printing Summit 2006?
>
>  > ...
>
>>   The place and time when it should take place should be chosen that as
>>   many important people as possible would participate (suggestions?).
>

> Many of us are on the East coast, and the next LinuxWorld Expo is
> April 3-6 in Boston...  Perhaps we can set something up around that
> time?

Good idea.

>>    – CUPS standardization between Linux distros?
>>
>>     -->
>>      The best way between "Everything equal" and the philosophies of the
>>      individual distros
>

> Not sure what this means; I'll be happy if the configurations are
> documented and there is some standardization on basic admin UI...

Will document our config as shown above. Problem of common admin UI is
mostly that every distro has added fancy features which are not
available in web interface (Printerdrake: Plug'n'Print for USB printers
with auto-generated queue names never longer than 12 characters, network
scanning for TCP/Socket printers, some kind of "intelligence" to make
manufacturer PPDs automatically be used whenever possible, ...).
Printerdrake is free software, perhaps I should through all these
features somewhere into the Foomatic CVS.

>>    – 32/64bit
>>      library support
>>    – Common printing tools and drivers to be shared
>>      amongst all distros?
>>
>>     -->
>>      Drivers used are already the same in all the distros, but the Grand
>>      Unified Printing Setup tool is still missing.
>

> I'm hoping that the new web interface will satisfy most users.

It has great features, like the basic cupsd.conf options and the
discovery of not yet configured local printers and two-click queue setup.

>>    – Also: ESP Ghostscript, CUPS DDK, CUPS
>>      Windows printer driver, CUPS PPD repository
>>
>>     -->
>>      GhostScript and drivers should be really separated from each other,
>>      using CUPS raster, IJS, and/or the OpenPrinting driver APIs, to
>>      make a change of the GhostScript generations less painful and to
>>      make adding drivers (both open and closed source) as easy as
>>      possible. If drivers are separate one can also make XPrint or
>>      Cairo talk directly to the drivers for a lightweight WYSIWYG
>>      infrastructure on embedded systems.
>

> Agreed!
>
> All of the resources listed offer that separation, BTW...

We need volunteers to separate out all the drivers which are currently
compiled into GhostScript.

    Till