[Desktop_architects] California Raisin Marketing Board...

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Tue Dec 6 08:59:29 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 10:40 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> >    Hard to have one place in Linux do the above.  But having this
> > sort of mission statement for a group to work on the advocacy side
> > of getting Linux onto the corporate desktop seems like a good idea.
>
> s/a group/OSDL DTL/
>
> <grin>
>
> Seriously, I think this is a great idea; this is what we tried
> to accomplish with the Desktop Linux Consortium several years
> back.  The response was phenomenal.  However, given our volunteer
> structure, we were simply never able to get the DLC off the
> ground in a meaningful way.
>
> I have long hoped that OSDL would take on that mantle; I think
> it's an appropriate role and an appropriate neutral party to do so.

   I'm good with the advocacy role - the hardest part will be getting
the focus on the message.   I think that it one of the reasons
that the Linux desktop has a confused message is that there
are a lot of folks out there solving very different problems starting
from the same building blocks.

  I think that as a group for advocacy purposes we will have to
pick a couple of target market segments, focus on them until in
those market segments people ask the question "Why aren't
you using Linux for that?"  This is for messaging purposes
not to be confused with development activities. :-)

Tim

Timothy D. Witham - Chief Technology Officer - wookie at osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
12725 SW Millikan Way - Suite 400 - Beaverton OR, 97005
(503)-906-1911  (office)    (503)-702-2871   (cell)
(503)-626-2436  (fax)