[Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 7 08:08:39 PST 2005

Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 01:30 schrieb Michael Sweet:
>
> Hi,
>
>>>      Drivers used are already the same in all the distros, but the Grand
>>>      Unified Printing Setup tool is still missing.
>> I'm hoping that the new web interface will satisfy most users.
>
> I am afraid that custom software specific web administration interfaces (with
> even implementing all their own webserver) are not the holy grail for
> integrated user expirence.
>
> IMHO offering good setup tools for system services like networking and
> printing is the job of the distributions not the individual server
> applications.

Web interfaces aren't the holy grail for all things, however in
the case of CUPS (which uses IPP which is layered on HTTP), it just
makes a whole lot of sense.  Also, network services are often run on
headless systems (or at least systems with no dedicated display,
keyboard, and mouse) so providing a GUI to configure them is often
pretty useless.

In any case, CUPS provides the necessary interfaces to provide the
same user experience through GUIs, web interfaces, and command-line
tools.  We provide the web interface because that is our standard
cross-platform "GUI" for CUPS, and it makes CUPS that much easier to
use.  We'll let the Linux distributors come up with their own
standard GUIs...