[Fwd: Re: [Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates]

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Dec 7 09:00:06 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:

>     2. Use the supplied APIs to get the available drivers and
>        devices.  Right now each distro seems to be maintaining
>        their own (insert your buzzword) database of printer
>        drivers rather than asking CUPS for a list of printer
>        drivers it knows about.  The result is that each GUI
>        provides a different list of drivers/devices than the
>        other or the CUPS web interface, which is confusing.
>        Why do we want to confuse the user?!?

So we (distro printing maintainers) all should

- Take care that all PPDs which manufacturers supply as free software
   are part of the distro (I have included all from linuxprinting.org in
   the foomatic-db package hoping that they slip into the distros
   automatically then).

- Pre-build the Foomatic PPDs with "foomatic-compiledb" and do not use
   the XML database in production systems (consider the XML as source
   code). Then the web interface and the GUI tools will expose exactly
   the same model list. GUI tools can be simplified to use only one
   method for obtaining model list (PPDs from CUPS).

- Use the CUPS PPDs of Gutenprint, they integrate better with CUPS and
   colors can be adjusted with the "cups-calibrate" command.

- Use ESP GhostScript to have the "cups" and the "ijs" devices and as
   many of the compiled-in drivers as possible (for example for Epson
   AcuLaser and EPL non-L).

>     3. Manage distribution-specific details (i.e. Firewall
>        and other security features) for the user.  Right now
>        only SuSE seems to have any checks in place for iptables
>        and SELinux will only increase the chances that certain
>        printing-related features don't work as expected.  ALL
>        security features need to be easy to use and not get in
>        the way of users, otherwise they will just turn them
>        completely off or choose another platform/distro.
>
> Now, my wish list isn't just applicable to printing.  I have problems
> on my laptop connecting my digital cameras - the permissions on the
> USB device files don't allow a mere mortal user to access the
> camera, so I have to chmod the files after connecting every time.
> I'm sure there is a configuration file I can tweak to fix this, but
> the point is, I shouldn't have to!

On Mandriva (and probably also on SuSE) digital cameras are no problem,
both USB mass storage and PTP/proprietary (Canon, ...) to be accessed
via GPhoto2. In both cases udev triggers a script to auto-set
permissions and to auto-mount the camera's file system (or open
Konqueror with "camera:/..." URI).

> Security is important, but usability is more important and can
> ensure that the system stays as secure as possible.

That is really true.

    Till