[Desktop_architects] Presentation slides - with attached templates

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Thu Dec 8 04:08:39 PST 2005

Michael Sweet writes:
 > Egbert Eich wrote:
 > > Little off topic (we have gotten off topic a while ago ;-))
 > > On the ride from OSDL back to the hotel Till and I briefly discussed
 > > that it would be good if it was possible to pass the ghostscript
 > > command line options to ghostppscript in the postscript file instead
 > > of adding them on the command line.
 >  > ...
 >
 > Most Ghostscript command-line options map to setpagedevice and
 > similar commands, so this should be a no-brainer.  In particular,
 > JobPatchFiles can be used to pass in basic initialization code
 > prior to any other commands...

Looking at the gs manual page again it looks like that gs command
line arguments of the form -Dfoo[=bar] of -Sbak[=zap] match to
/foo bar def or /bak (zap) dev. Therefore it seems to be easy to
add them to a print file (unless they are used before the file is
read in).

 > > On the other hand it also would be nice if cups based GUI printer dialogs
 > > would offer a 'generic postscript printer' so that one could generate
 > > plain postscript for printing to a file.
 >
 > I'm pretty sure that gnomeprint and kdeprint are capable of this
 > already, however "plain" or "device-independent" PostScript isn't
 > necessarily as useful as, say, PDF.

Yes, you're right. At least the kde printing dialog (in Konqueror)
offers  'Print To File (postscript)' or 'Print To File (PDF)' (and
also 'Mail PDF' and 'Send To Fax' among the printer selections
it offers.
Seems to be a pretty sane thing to do.
Ooffice still offers an additional checkbox for printing to a
file and lets one choose the printer to use (so I assume it will
generate a ps output file containing device specific options from
the PPD).

Cheers,
	Egbert.