[Desktop_architects] Printing Summit 2006

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Dec 8 05:15:23 PST 2005

Egbert Eich wrote:
>  >
>  > - Developers on important printing-related projects, like CUPS,
>  >    linuxprinting.org, Gutenprint, HPLIP, GhostScript, driver projects,
>  >    Cairo, X-Print, ...
>
> I know a vibrant supporter of Xprint. Yet many in the X community feel
> that Xprint was a bad idea and should go away. Currently it's considered
> legacy. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

[...]

> All in all I don't know if we want to advertise yet another
> printing API to application developers. We will need Xprint for
> legacy app support and therefore it is good that it has received
> a backend for CUPS.

Then we should perhaps concentrate more on Cairo for this purpose.

>  >
>  > - Developers for color management
>
> I can give you a contact there.

You know others than Marti Maria (HP, liblcms), Graeme Gill (Argyll),
and Kai-Uwe Behrmann (CinePaint)?

> Somewhere on the East cost would be a good place -
> assuming that the majority of participants come from
> the US and Europe.

I think so, too. This is the best compromise.

> This may help to get free facilities. On the other hand LinuxWorld
> is a show - not a conference. Therefore it will attract more show
> people than developers. Also it is usually held in places where
> accomodations are rather expensive.
> That's what I always point out for meetings of my organization.
> OSDL may be a good venue.

Only disadvantage of the OSDL office is being on the west cost and so a
long trip and 9 hours time shift for Europeans.

    Till