[Desktop_architects] Printing Summit 2006

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Dec 8 08:23:42 PST 2005

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:02:16 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Both WIN32/GDI and Quartz already support printing contexts, so I'd
> just expose that;

Yeah, I think all that's missing is someone knowledgeable to hook up
what's needed within cairo here.

> FLTK 2.0 can also use Cairo (instead of X11) as the underlying API,
> and if Cairo will support MacOS X and Windows then we may be able to
> greatly simplify the toolkit!

If so, that would be another great success for cairo. (I think cairo
success is measured by how much code any given application can throw
away when it adopts cairo.)

> (somewhat off-topic - any work in Cairo to support "embedded"
> displays?)

What kind of "embedded" displays do you have in mind? Cairo has an
"image" backend that will draw to any chunk of memory you hand it,
so that's general enough to do just about anything. The image backend
doesn't support a lot of different image formats yet, but that's
pretty easy to extend as demand for that grows.

There's also an experimental DirectFB backend for cairo that's about
to be committed to cairo CVS. Feel free to followup with me privately,
or even better, on cairo at cairographics.org if you have any more
questions:

	http://cairographics.org/lists

-Carl