[Desktop_architects] Re: Portland: How to fix this situation

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 07:43:23 PST 2005

On 12/11/05, Otto Wyss <otto.wyss at orpatec.ch> wrote:
> I just want to emphasize Wine should also care for business users since
> they have an imminent need for a good working Wine. But to attract
> business you first have to show them that it's possible, it's a
> classical hen-egg-problem. .... that's the task of OSDL since it will profit from
> any success in this area, therefore the OSDL should look for at least
> one person which can work full time on this task.

I agree with you; IMHO OSDL and/or its members should get involved somehow
with wine development.  Anyone interested in this please contact me
and/or Jeremy White offlist.  (I'm just pushing the idea; Jeremy's the
guy who would
make it happen given the funding.)

> I'm quite sure anybody involved into the Munich project
> will happily pay this person if they see a chance to fix some of their
> problems.

The Munich folks are skeptical about Wine, probably because
it is not yet good enough at running e.g. visual basic / database applications.
There has been a lot of progress recently, so it might only be a few
months of work
to get this area up to snuff.

What would really help would be a real customer who wants to
deploy a visual basic application on Linux using Wine.
If OSDL could scare one up for us, that'd be great.
- Dan

--
Why won't Johnny run Linux?  See http://kegel.com/linux/comfort