[Desktop_architects] Re: Portland: How to fix this situation

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Mon Dec 12 12:58:50 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:01:37AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 12/12/05, Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg <Kay.Ramme at sun.com> wrote:
> > >OSDL should consider including Wine in their ISV outreach efforts.
> > >The message might be "If you're not ready to invest in a full native
> > >port of your Windows app to Linux, you should consider using
> > >Wine to do a quick port of your Windows application to Linux.
> > >to judge demand for a Linux version of your product.  Here are a
> > >few case studies of how this was done by ISVs in the past..."
> > >
> > Agreed.
>
> OK, I've done a first draft of a Wine-for-ISV's page.  It's at
>    http://kegel.com/wine/isv/
> and is titled "Shipping Your Windows Application for Linux using Wine".
> Comments and corrections welcome.

Wow, this looks good.  Concise but specific about what to do.

One comment is that it might be useful to expand on the testing aspects.
E.g., what should one be looking for when doing the testing, tips for
isolating the issue to Wine (vs. just bad assumptions in the code or
bugs in Windows), and etc.

You probably should include "write a case study about your experience
using Wine for your application" as a desired task.  As has been
mentioned, we seem to have a need for more info in this area.

Also, are there any existing test suites specifically for testing wine?
I downloaded and tried the Arachnid example mentioned in the guide, and
that worked fine.

Thanks,
Bryce